Hawaiian Theme Club

When the girls arrived for our Hawaiian-themed club, they were tired and beat down by another week of being a teen mom. They were happy to be there and see the other girls, but they were showing definite signs of a long hard week. We had Hawaiian pizza and fruit kabobs, which certainly helped, along with music from 'the islands'. When I broke out the grass skirts and flowered tops, a few smiles were seen. Soon, the grass skirts and tops were in place, flowers were in their hair, and moods definitely changed. During a silly relay race with a hula hoop, I stopped for a moment and took in what I saw. . . a roomful of teen moms, mentors and volunteers just having a great time together.
That was a moment which I hope I never forget - our teen moms letting go, having simple fun, giggling and laughing - so relaxed and so carefree!

Shared by Judy Pytlik--Pittsburgh North Hills, PA

No comments:

Post a Comment